5 places in Burlington to find yourself and…

Finding yourself sometimes means finding your place

By Victoria Bradford

Contributing Writer

Best place to clear your thoughts: Battery Park (Off of Battery Street)

I bet you thought I’d say Waterfront Park. Surprise! Battery Park is so underrated but the views are hard to beat. It’s a great place to people watch, if that’s your thing, or just sit on a bench and take it all in. A recent study done by the University of East Anglia in England reported the bene t of spending time in nature for overall health. “People liv– ing closer to nature had reduced diastolic blood pressure, heart rate and stress. In fact, one of the really interesting things we found is that exposure to greenspace signi cantly reduces people’s levels of salivary cortisol — a physiological marker of stress.”

Best place to treat yourself: Ben and Jerry’s Church Street Marketplace

Okay, I get it. A trip to Ben and Jerry’s is the most cliché Vermont experience, but hear me out. This is really the spot to go and reward yourself or when you just need a pick me up. A nice scoop of Phish Food can really brighten a day. Like Tom from Parks and Rec famously said… “Treat Yo Self!”

Best yoga studio: Sangha 120 Pine Street

There’s no place more calming and welcoming than Sangha Studio’s downtown Burlington location. As an added bene t, it’s accessible yoga. You can become a member for $60 a month, or drop in for a class for as little as $10. As a college student, yoga classes can be out of my league after spending way too much money at Dunks but Sangha gives me a chance to really work out my stress in a healthy way. Also, savasana is a life changer. You should try it some time.

Best place to unwind: Muddy Waters 184 Main Street

Muddy Waters is one of the rst places I take people who visit me. The dark and relaxing atmosphere is hard to beat. If you need some extra motivation during your study sesh, there are sweet rolled up notes in the stone walls. Breaks are so important for our mental health, and here is a perfect place to take some time to reevaluate over a warm cup of coffee. Give the raspberry hot chocolate a try!

Best superfood place: The Vermont Juice Company 77 Main Street

The Vermont Juice Company isn’t just a place for Instagram worthy acai bowls. There has been a surge of psychology studies on the gut brain axis. The Vermont Juice company emphasises that eating well can have a positive effect on our mental health! You can get wellness shots, cold pressed juices, cleansers, and other superfood meals here. So head down to Main Street and get those nutrients!